General Tuning your server for OpenJ9

Tux

Jun 12, 2019
Georgia, USA
steinborn.me
(The canonical version of this post is on the Paper forums. I have cross-posted this as a resource for others.)

Recently, there's been quite a few people interested in using OpenJ9 to run their server.

If you are not aware of what OpenJ9, it's a replacement for the standard HotSpot JVM you would get if you installed Java. There are reasons why you may want to switch, including:

* Ahead-of-Time compilation for fast startup without losing the benefits of a optimizing JIT
* Specifically tuned for cloud setups (however, it will run fine on bare metal)
* Reduced memory usage (get a lot more people on your server)
* Idle garbage collection when your server is not active
* Much more...

I have compiled a full guide and posted it on my blog. Several people are already using these flags with success. I have even included a shell script that automatically tunes the server for you.

Please let me know about your experience!

Telesphoreo

Staff member
Aug 2, 2019
telesphoreo.me
Is there any way to get this on Ubuntu without downtime / screwing stuff up? I use AdoptOpenJDK with OpenJ9 on my Windows install and it works great. I use Hotspot on my Ubuntu install simply for reliability reasons. I never actually realized there were benefits to OpenJ9.

Tux

Jun 12, 2019
Georgia, USA
steinborn.me
Is there any way to get this on Ubuntu without downtime / screwing stuff up? I use AdoptOpenJDK with OpenJ9 on my Windows install and it works great. I use Hotspot on my Ubuntu install simply for reliability reasons. I never actually realized there were benefits to OpenJ9.
You will need to restart your server in order to adjust the JVM flags, unfortunately :(

About us

• Welcome to mcforums.com! Our Minecraft Forums are dedicated to preserving the last decade of Minecraft community spirit, as well as promoting the openness and vibrancy of the Minecraft community for many more years to come.

Quick Navigation

User Menu