1.14 Thoughts on the announced plans for the combat mechanics.

Fluoranium

Staff member
Jun 11, 2019
London
Recently changes to the controversial combat mechanics that we currently have in Minecraft were announced. Since then I have heard mixed opinions about the changes and I think it would be interesting to have some kind of debate about what the community thinks about them.

The main changes in question are the following:
  • Overall much faster attacks
  • Attacks only happen when fully charged, even if you spam click
  • You can hold to attack
  • Weapons have different reach (attack range)
  • When you stop attacking, the attack timer will continue charging to 200%
  • At 200% you can perform special attacks (crits, sweeping, knockback) and these attacks have longer reach
  • Sweeping only occurs on swords with the Sweeping enchantment
  • Critical attacks (jump attacks) bypass shields
  • Shields have no warm-up delay
  • Shields also activate when crouching/sneaking
  • If you hit something, the target's "invulnerability timer" will be shorter if you have a quick weapon
I myself almost never play PvP so my view might be somewhat uninformed. However, I am happy that I can again spawn click and not worry about timing when attacking mobs. Also the attack range for the weapons adds a more realistic feeling to battling which I think is good.

So, which changes are of your liking? Which ones would you remove or introduce?

TubaTyler

Manager
Staff member
Jun 11, 2019
United States
Being a server owner, I’ve seen a sharp decrease in any kind of incentive to PVP with other players. If there’s any kind of upgrade that should bring more excitement and challenge to the current system, I’m ALL for it!

Kogon

Aug 16, 2019
I'm leaning into the change with optimism. I figure with so many other things in the world to set my hair on fire over, I'll give my scalp a rest over this proposed change. For the devs, it's a classic case of do nothing and get hateful dingleberries or do something and get hateful dingleberries. If for no other reason than to avoid chafing, I'll ante up.

Reactions: TubaTyler

TubaTyler

Manager
Staff member
Jun 11, 2019
United States
I'm leaning into the change with optimism. I figure with so many other things in the world to set my hair on fire over, I'll give my scalp a rest over this proposed change. For the devs, it's a classic case of do nothing and get hateful dingleberries or do something and get hateful dingleberries. If for no other reason than to avoid chafing, I'll ante up.
Definitely. Every change made is going to bring some sort of kick-back. That's just the nature of the beast. However, I appreciate them listening to the community's gripes about the combat system and doing something to try and fix it.

About us

• Welcome to mcforums.com! Our Minecraft Forums are dedicated to preserving the last decade of Minecraft community spirit, as well as promoting the openness and vibrancy of the Minecraft community for many more years to come.

Quick Navigation

User Menu