New (Java Edition) launcher!

Paradaux

Jun 22, 2019
Ireland
paradaux.co
If you haven't heard, the launcher is currently being redesigned. According to the article released by Mojang, it's intended to be a single launch point for all of the games within the franchise (except story mode which is being discontinued.) Opting into the beta is as simple as launching the launcher as-is, navigating to the "Settings" tab and selecting "Upgrade to the beta version of the launcher" and following that, simply restart the launcher when it will download the required files to upgrade.

Image Transcription: Screenshot featuring the beta upgrade option.
Alongside the obvious visual differences (screenshots below) They're making drastic changes to its codebase but overall there should be little change to the overall functionality.

Image Transcription: Screenshot featuring the new launcher which is visually different.)
I think this change is for the better, as much as I miss the 1.0 launcher for nostalgia sake. At this time Mojang is requesting that those who do opt in to use the new launcher report any bugs on their Jira as well as any general feedback you may have.

Feel free to discuss the new launcher below, I'd love to hear what the community has to say about the second massive launcher change in such a little amount of time.

Paradaux

Jun 22, 2019
Ireland
paradaux.co
The new launcher looks quite nice overall, although the need for a change seems to be nonexistent.
I do like the fact that they're slowly taking away the need to log on to the website (whether it be the mojang or minecraft.net site) Especially with skin modification coming back.

It isn't as pretty as the old one, imo.

untuned

Outrun-erator
Jun 11, 2019
untuned.us
Why did they add sounds to the old launcher? I never noticed it, and you have to enable it to hear them anyway.

mrmastersword

Staff member
Jun 11, 2019
Planet Mars
mastersword.dev
Why did they add sounds to the old launcher? I never noticed it, and you have to enable it to hear them anyway.
My guess is that some dev was bored, and was listening to music?
Just imagine some developer sitting in a room, listening to his music, paging through his lack of a task queue, only to get hit with the idea.
"AHA!" The dev shouts, rising from his seat, "I've found it! The perfect bug feature!".
Other devs come running, "What? What is it?", they shout.
He explains his idea to the other devs, and it is soon implemented.

Paradaux

Jun 22, 2019
Ireland
paradaux.co
My guess is that some dev was bored, and was listening to music?
Just imagine some developer sitting in a room, listening to his music, paging through his lack of a task queue, only to get hit with the idea.
"AHA!" The dev shouts, rising from his seat, "I've found it! The perfect bug feature!".
Other devs come running, "What? What is it?", they shout.
He explains his idea to the other devs, and it is soon implemented.
Honestly, that isn't too far off of traditional development cycles anyway

About us

• Welcome to mcforums.com! Our Minecraft Forums are dedicated to preserving the last decade of Minecraft community spirit, as well as promoting the openness and vibrancy of the Minecraft community for many more years to come.

Quick Navigation

User Menu